Institutional Animal Care & Use Committee (IACUC)
The IACUC oversees all animal research and instruction at UA in order to ensure that ethical regulatory and policy mandates governing the use of animals in research and instruction are met.
The Committee is comprised of members, including representatives of the public, qualified to oversee the animal program, facilities, and procedures. The IACUC's responsibility is to:
- Review and approve the animal welfare aspects or all research and instruction at UA;
- Review UA's program for the humane care and use of animals twice annually;
- Conduct inspections twice annually on all UA animal facilities;
- Prepare and submit reports of its evaluations to the Vice President for Research;
- Make recommendations to the Vice President for Research regarding any aspect of UA's animal program, facilities, or personnel training;
- Suspend any activity involving animals that violates applicable regulations, policies, or procedures, or an approved protocol.
Protocol Submissions and Guidelines
Prior to initiating, modifying, or extending any research project that uses animals, Principal Investigators must submit an application to the Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC) for review and approval.
IMPORTANT CHANGE: All IACUC protocols must be submitted electronically through the UA e-Protocol system. Click the button below to enter the IACUC Online Protocol Submission.
All protocols submitted to the IACUC for review must be received 10 working days prior to the committee meeting. Late protocols will not be placed on the agenda and will be reviewed at the next meeting.
AVMA Guide to Euthanasia
Training and Registration
IACUC Material Up for Review