NSF Proposal and Grant Requirements
The National Science Foundation (NSF) funds research and education in most fields of science and engineering through grants and cooperative agreements to colleges and universities throughout the US. NSF accounts for about one-fourth of Federal support to academic institutions for basic research. In order to meet its oversight obligations, NSF implements various policies, primarily through its Proposal and Award Policies and Procedures Guide (PAPPG). The University has developed Policies and Procedures specifically for the purpose of complying with NSF requirements.
University Policies and Procedures for Complying with NSF Requirements:
- NSF Releases New Guide for Prospective Awardees
- NSF Posts New FAQ on "Proposal Preparation and Award Administration"
- Enforcement of Project Outcomes Report submission
- Having an overdue Project Outcomes Report will delay NSF actions on any other proposals or awards for the PI/co-PI(s).
- For proposals submitted through FastLane, the PI/co-PI(s) will receive a warning in the proposal submission confirmation email if they have an overdue Annual, Final or Project Outcomes Report(s).
- Warning messages for proposals submitted through Grants.gov will be implemented at a later date.
- Data Management Plans Required in Proposal Supplementary Documents (FastLane will not permit submission of a proposal that is missing a Data Management Plan.)
- NSF Cost Share Policy (Inclusion of voluntary committed cost sharing is prohibited.)
- The NSF Policy Office has developed a set of Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) on cost sharing that have been raised about the new policy. The document discusses, among other things, donation of time to a project by senior personnel and how to handle doctoral dissertation awards and fellowships.
- Responsible Conduct of Research Plan
- NSF Postdoctoral Mentoring Activities
- Each proposal that requests funding to support postdoctoral researchers must include, as a supplementary document, a description of the mentoring activities that will be provided for such individuals.
- Conflict of Interest Policy
Please contact your Grant Specialist if you have any questions about these or other proposal requirements.